My Thoughts on "OMG"

I am a Presbyterian--a Christian, for those of you who don't know the terminology of denominations. I believe in Jesus Christ, who came and died on the cross for our sins. 

Due to this, as well as where and how I spend my time, I'm usually surrounded by other kids of Christian families. Due to this, I'm shocked at how many of them I hear saying, "Oh, my God" and "Jesus Christ".

Why? Because of the third commandment. 

Q. "What is the third commandment?"
A. "The third commandment is; You shall not take the name of the LORD your God in vain, for God shall not hold him guiltless that takes His name in vain."
Q. "What does the third commandment teach us?"
A. "To reverence God's name, word, and works."

I simply do not see how shouting, "Oh, my God" or "Jesus Christ" is reverencing God's name. Why? Because it isn't.

Just look at the LORD's prayer (taken from Matthew 6:9, ESV) ; "Pray then like this; 'Our Father in Heaven, hallowed be your name." And in Deuteronomy 28:58 in the ESV Bible, it says; "If you are not careful to do all the words of this law that are written in this book, that you may fear this glorious and awesome name, the LORD your God,"

Hallowed means "holy", and a name as holy as God's should be reverenced and not used as a catch-phrase.

So, why is it that Christians sometimes say it? Now, some people might say, "I don't actually say 'Oh, my God', I just say 'OMG'." You know what "OMG" stands for? Oh
My
God
That's like saying you "don't smoke" when you do indeed smoke, just not often. 

But, this DOES NOT mean that you cannot say "God", "Jesus", "Christ", and even "Jesus Chris". You can and should, when in reverence. You should to use it as if--metaphor time--you were a lowly commoner talking to a King of old about how his laws aren't fair. You would want to use carefully, because he could have you killed with the wave of his hand.

For instance; I believe that saying, "Oh, God, thank you!" when something that you've been wanting to happen is alright. I also believe that saying, "God, please give me patience with these people..." is also ok. You can also, of course, use His name in prayer. You can use His name when you're talking about Him to people--being mini-missionaries, one could say--, and you can use His name in things like this; yes, technically speaking I am writing "Oh, my God!". But, that does not count because it is an example. When using it as an example, yes; i believe you can use it.

So, my summarized thoughts on OMG; I wish people wouldn't say it.
Thanks for reading!

~Bekah The Bookworm

Comments

  1. Very wise words. You are wise beyond your years. May God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done for writing this article. It is pretty sad that most people do not reverence God's name.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ademola! I agree; it is especially sad when God's own children do not reverence his name.

      Delete
  3. Very well done, sweetheart!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to thank everyone for reading this post. This post, by far, has the most views of all the posts on my blog!

    Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts